I love a good cocktail, and what I love even more is a whiskey cocktail. An Old Fashioned has always been a favourite in popular culture. The moment in Crazy Stupid Love where Gosling shows off his skills… cocktail-making skills I mean! Every time Don Draper finds himself in a bar – “Old Fashioned please”. It even got a cheeky mention on Grey’s Anatomy.
It may be old fashioned, but it’s a classic. So, with a cocktail this fashionable, it’s about time you tried one yourself!
What you will need:
50ml of your favourite Bourbon
2-3 dashes of Angostura bitters
1 sugar cube, or 1 tsp of sugar syrup or plain sugar
1 slice of orange peel
Maraschino cherry to garnish
How to make an Old Fashioned:
1. Take your orange rind and rub it on the inside of the Tumbler then place in the glass.
v2. Place the sugar, sugar cube or syrup in the Tumbler.
3. Add the 2-3 dashes of Angostura bitters.
4. If you’ve used a sugar cube, crush the sugar with a wooden muddler.
5. Add a large ice cube. Pour in half of the bourbon and stir with your bar spoon for around 10 seconds.
6. Add more ice, then the rest of the bourbon and stir.
7. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.
It’s as simple as that! As with any cocktail, the more you make them yourself the better you will be at perfecting the flavour. Enjoy.